18 B2B Marketing Automation Stats You Should Know
Marketing automation has helped to transform business-to-business marketing over the past several years. Most B2B marketers have implemented or have considered implementing a marketing automation solution.
Here are 18 statistics that reveal some interesting dimensions of the marketing automation landscape:
The Marketing Automation Growth Trajectory
- As of 2013, 1/4 of all B2B Fortune 500 companies were using marketing automation, along with 76% of the world’s largest SaaS companies (source).
- There are 211 different marketing automation solutions on the market today (source).
- 79% of top-performing companies have been using marketing automation for more than two years (source).
- 91% of buyers in 2013 were evaluating marketing automation for the first time (source).
- The adoption of marketing automation technology is expected to increase 50% by 2015 (source).
- The software and Internet industry has the highest marketing automation adoption rate (source):
The Impact of Marketing Automation
- 75% of companies using marketing automation see ROI within 12 months (source).
- 35% of companies with marketing automation programs regularly capture intelligence for the sales team (from their content marketing efforts), compared with 19% of companies without marketing automation systems (source).
- B2B marketers who implement marketing automation increase their sales-pipeline contribution by 10% (source).
- B2B marketers cite the No. 1 benefit of marketing automation as the ability to generate more and better leads (source).
- 49% of companies that employ marketing automation strategies customize content to the buyer journey stages, compared to only 21% of companies without marketing automation strategies (source).
- 78% of high-performing marketers say that marketing automation software is responsible for improving revenue contribution (source).
The Challenges of Marketing Automation
- Only 26% of B2B marketing automation users have fully adopted their system (source).
- 54% marketers who have not yet implemented marketing automation cite lack of budget as a major obstacle preventing implementation (source).
- 64% of CMOs have no formal process to manage their marketing automation (source).
- 76% of CMOs list high-end lead generation as their biggest marketing automation challenge (source).
- 31% of current marketing automation users anticipate changing their system within the next two years, primarily because they want better or different capabilities (source).
- 48% of B2B marketers cite lack of data expertise as the biggest challenge in using their marketing automation system (source).
There is definite momentum (and perhaps a bit of confusion) around marketing automation. What are some of the successes and challenges you’ve had implementing marketing automation in your organization?